Teys Bros boning room
|Client:||Teys Brothers (Holdings) Pty Ltd|
|Location:||Beenleigh, Queensland, Australia|
|Scope overview:||Refurbish the existing building areas and install a two-chain side boning system|
Teys Brothers (Holdings) Pty Ltd new boning room delivered in record time
Since their inception in 1946, Teys Brothers (Holdings) Pty Ltd, one of Australia’s largest meat processing companies, has maintained a focus on innovation and consequently has paved the way for the Australian beef industry.
Teys contracted Wiley for the installation of a new boning room and process equipment at its Beenleigh site over the Christmas shutdown period.
Wiley had to refurbish the existing building areas and install a two-chain side boning system, Cryovac bag makers and rotary vacuum sealers, a 7,000-carton chilled tunnel, lidders, auto scales, interconnecting conveyors and line controls.
- Installing process equipment within a very tight timeframe during Christmas shutdown
- Accommodating a large number of changes to the equipment layout design as the project progressed.
- A HAZOP design review that significantly improved the safety and operability of the installation and the overall reliability of the new facility. The review highlighted issues such as the need to dramatically increase the accumulation in front of the auto scales and fat testing equipment and a range of safety considerations that were dealt with before start up.
- Highly detailed design to incorporate the new works into existing structures
- A new fixture for the air conditioning socks and duct work so that the socks could be removed through the ceiling rather than through the boning room.
- Coordination of equipment suppliers and building works to minimise installation time
- Training of operators before the Christmas shutdown so that plant staff had sufficient time to learn the new systems
- Connection of the PLCs and operator interfaces together with Allan Bradley DeviceNet and Ethernet to give supervisory control across the boning room and pack off
- Installation of belt washers in the basement rather than in the boning room to save space and remove aerosols from the room
- Inclusion of an automatic ultrasonic hook cleaning system in the design.
- Construction of the new boning room while the existing meatworks were operating (which included working around conveyors operating through the middle of the construction site)
- Installation of most of the process equipment and major refurbishment during the Christmas shutdown period.
The successful installation of a new boning room and process equipment within a very short timeframe, with minimal disruption to existing operations, and with significant enhancements to the facility’s overall safety, operability and reliability.
The project was delivered fast tracked in seven months from feasibility stage through development approval and design, construction and commissioning.